Rail: There is a main line station at Berwick-upon-Tweed, linking with bus services to Melrose, Wooler, Fenwick & seasonally to Holy Island. GNER London to Edinburgh trains & also Virgin cross-country services between the Southwest, South Coast, Midlands & Scotland serve it.
Express Coach: Melrose & Jedburgh are both served by the National Express service Wrexham-Perth (via Manchester, Leeds & Newcastle) & the Scottish Citylink service Newcastle-Aberdeen. Berwick is served by the National Express service London-Edinburgh. National Express enquiry line: 0870 5808080.
- Melrose has direct services to Edinburgh, Berwick-upon-Tweed & most other Borders Towns.
- Bowden has services to Melrose & Newtown St Boswells.
- Newtown St Boswells & St Boswells have direct services to Edinburgh, Galashiels, Melrose, Jedburgh & Kelso.
- Ancrum/A68 (by Harestanes) has direct services to Edinburgh, Jedburgh, Galashiels & Melrose.
- Jedfoot Bridge is on the Kelso-Jedburgh service.
- Jedburgh has direct services to Edinburgh, Newcastle, Kelso, Hawick, Galashiels & Melrose. Morebattle & the Yetholms have a service to Kelso (not Sundays in winter).
- There is a postbus from Hethpool to Wooler on Monday to Friday afternoons, currently leaving from Hethpool at about 4pm.
- Wooler has services to Berwick-upon-Tweed & Alnwick each day including Sunday.
- Fenwick & Beal are on the Berwick-upon-Tweed to Newcastle service, calling at Alnwick & Morpeth.
- Holy Island has a service to Berwick-upon-Tweed. It operates Monday-Saturday between late July & late August, then once or twice a week for the rest of the year, and is subject to tides.
Walking St Cuthbert's Way using public TransportSection of the Way can be covered as single day walks using public transport, either to return to your starting point or by travelling out & back by bus from a central starting point.
Melrose - Harestanes (or Jedfoot)
You can travel from Ancrum to Melrose by the Jedburgh-Galashiels service which stops at the Harestanes turn on the A68, in Ancrum village and at Bonjedward (500m from Jedfoot Bridge). For a shorter walk, you can take the bus to Melrose from either Newtown St Boswells or St Boswells.
Jedfoot - Yetholm
You can travel to Jedfoot by the Kelso-Jedburgh service, returning from Yetholm to Kelso (not Sundays in winter)
Wooler - Fenwick or the Holy Island
You can travel to Wooler from either Berwick or Alnwick (no Sunday service) & return to your start point from the A1 at Fenwick or at Beal (the Holy Island road).
Bus timetables and assistance with transport can be obtained at Visitor Information Centres, by Email or by calling 01835 863170.
Links to: (please note you are being taken to new web sites)
Holy Island Tide Times
Bus timetables form/to Holy Island
There are public car parks in Melrose, Newtown St Boswells, St Boswells, Harestanes, Jedburgh, Hethpool, Wooler, Beal (Causeway) & on Holy Island. There is adequate on-street parking in Bowden, Ancrum, Cessford, Morebattle, Town Yetholm, Kirk Yetholm, Lowick & Fenwick. Please park with care & consideration. The church car park in Maxton may be used apart from Sunday mornings, when it's reserved for worshippers.
Please do not park elsewhere along the route, & especially at outlying farms & settlements where indiscriminative parking has caused considerable nuisance in the past.